Tuesday, July 29, 2008

9 more days...

I have 9 days more in Malaysia before I bid her goodbye. Yet the reality of me leaving has not set in. Here are some thoughts that are flying in my mind :
a
aaasunset at the beach below tanjung tuan light house, PD


Workplace:
1. My colleague gave me a USD 20 note. Said it's for my taxi fare to transit in between terminals, so that I won't miss my flight.

2. A parent dropped by on a non-class day to pass me a gift. It's a book with a lovely prayer written inside. Jer 29 :11-13 was given as a promise and I miss-yous. My 5 year old student has the cutest smile (Parents' blog here)


What to pack:
Besides my summer wardrobe (the ONLY seasonal clothes i have in abundance), I would like to bring these along :

1. all of you
2. my room
3. diary, cards, gifts, photos (that will remind me of my good friends here)
4. CDs (no pirated CDs allowed. I have yet to download my music collection in my laptop
5. medication & spices
6. books (sparingly. It would be heavy to carry them there. I figure I'll have more books to buy there)
7. Cash (all donations are welcome)


Hanging in the air
1. Medical report
my uni did not send a medical form to me, it's mainly an online self-report thingy. You need to submit paper records too. But what I heard is that alot of foreign students end up taking their jabs there. (not sure whether it's because they fail to produce a paper documentation or that they have not had those immunization shots taken. I can't find my BCG/ polio/ tetanus/ hepatitis B record and the GP i saw refused to sign it off for me. Do u have any friendly doctor-friend? :P

2. People I have yet to see before I leave

3. Weddings that I will miss
Including my own brother's & many good friend's


Prayers
1. Catch my connecting flight in O'hare Chicago
I have 2 1/2 hrs transition time there. With this I need to pass by the immigration/custom queue, fly across terminals (international -> domestic), pass another security line before the domestic terminal. Plus I have another friend waiting at Pittburgh for me at night. She stays 2 1/2 hrs away from the airport. We won't want her to wait till midnight for me if I were to be placed in the next flight.

2. Housing
Not found accomodation yet. I am not sure whether to arrange them online or find it when I arrived. I figure the issue is not so much as a place to stay, but housemates and the area where I live in. So i'll have to take the risk to find it there.

3. Church
to serve in and worship God. God's ppl to love and be loved :)

7 comments:

Su Ann said...

Hey hey,

Wow, I'm so excited for you! I know it may be tough leaving all your family and friends, but think of all the fun you'll have there!

Take care and be safe, OK?

cha said...

Hi Chihui. I'm so sad ur leaving but u'll be back rite? Hey dunno if this helps but u can go for a blood test to tell if u have done ur hep B test/rubella jabs (or been infected and thus inactive).... Then the printed results will come back...is this acceptable by the school? Cos i did this before.... just an idea that may save u a lot of headache and cost!

Anonymous said...

hey! good that you're coming! remember that God is everywhere and that He'll prosper you in a foreign land, like Joseph in Egypt.

my advise is..

1) Stuff yourself with all those good m'sian grub before you leave. you'll surely miss it.

2) don't be judgemental of how some of them may live. we are called to love not to judge.

3) be alert.

kev

el'z said...

hello,

thank you so much for your well-wishes and tips !!

Cha : thx. the blood test may be more expensive than the jabs, but a safer alternative than over-jabbing i believe?

Anonymous said...

i hate it when friends leave... :(
it's so sad, but i try to make myself feel better thinking about all that you will learn and experience being there. meeting new friends and breathing in a different kind of air.
well, at least you're only a skype away. i will miss our loooong talks in the car hehe.

HL said...

T minus 26 hours, and counting...

el'z said...

cha : in the end i took e blood test. I'm ok. yay :P

Rac : aww...me too. And our afternoon lunches when i was working in sbg. *sniffs*

hl : oh no... can you freeze the clock?