Friday, May 13, 2011

cling clang

What sounds like repeated knockings of the hammer against an iron shelf?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The MRI chamber

Being active and fully conscious this round, an hour in the MRI chamber was unbearable. The noise emitted from the magnetic scanner was painfully loud. Why can't they play classical music and mute the noise? It felt as if my head was being knocked by a loud hammer over and over again, except it doesn't feel painful. My ears hurt though. I was given ear plugs but they didn't help very much. The only interesting bit is that the noises emitted don't sound the same. I tried to imagine what the different noises reflect in the environment to occupy my time in the chamber. Here's what I came out with:

1. angry birds call in low pitched robotized noise
2. laser beam shots
3. clanging of pots

I was given a 10cc of phase contrast injection. The volume is dependent on the weight of the person. The name of the chemical composition starts with "g". Can't remember the rest of it. It contains magnetic irons apparently. That injection was the most painful and longest shot I've ever taken. Ever ! The technician first tied my arm with a thick rubber band, made me contract my biceps and asked me clenched my fist. Then she injected me with a 'forced' relaxed arm. She said the phase contrast solution is thick, hence she had to inject it slowly. She said the shot typically takes several minutes.

Being in Mt Nittany again brought back memories of my concussion. I had a terrible experience there. It was equally traumatic as my fall. Being harassed time to time by the RNs and told that i was fine (when i was immobilized and that eye-movements were restricted). Being striped naked in front of a RN while she dressed me and rudely said that she couldn't dress me when my hands are in the way. My muscles were hardened, silly ! If I could move my muscles, I would had have boxed and kicked the nurses.

I'm thankful that I can move now, compared to 6 months ago. Being mobile = being independent = deciding for yourself what you want to receive from others (you can always walk away from horrible situations) = being able to protect your own dignity = freedom to act upon your will = being in control of your own body. What a joy to regain that back (after one day of being bed-ridden/ suffering from apraxia of limbs) !

On another note, I couldn't find my car at the parking lot. A kind RN stopped and asked if I needed help. She then drove me to my car based on my description or recollection of the car park. I felt like that's God reassuring me that He'll guide me when I'm lost. I need that, now.

No comments: